How Common is Macular Degeneration?
Written by Jaime R. Herndon | Reviewed November 2019
- Pennington KL, DeAngelis MM. Epidemiology of age-related macular degeneration (AMD): associations with cardiovascular disease phenotypes and lipid factors. Eye Vis (Lond). 2016;3:34. Published 2016 Dec 22. doi:10.1186/s40662-016-0063-5.
- DeAngelis MM, Owen LA, Morrison MA, et al. Genetics of age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Hum Mol Genet. 2017; 26(R1):R45-R50. Doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddx228. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration: AMD Defined. National Eye Institute website. https://nei.nih.gov/eyedata/amd. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Macular Degeneration: Prevention & Risk Factors. BrightFocus website. 2018. https://www.brightfocus.org/macular/prevention-and-risk-factors. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Armstrong RA, Mousavi M. Overview of Risk Factors for Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD). J Stem Cells. 2015; 10(3): 171-91. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27125062. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Piazza G. How Diet May Affect Age-Related Macular Degeneration. National Institutes of Health website. 2017. https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/how-diet-may-affect-age-related-macular-degeneration. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Nutrition and Age-Related Macular Degeneration. American Optometric Association website. 2018. https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/nutrition/nutrition-and-age-related-macular-degeneration. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Guo-Yuan S, Guang-Cong L, Guang-Ying L, et al. Is sunlight exposure a risk factor for age-related macular degeneration? A systematic review and meta-analysis. British J of Ophthalmology. 2013; 97: 389-394. https://bjo.bmj.com/content/97/4/389. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Facts About Stargardt Disease. National Eye Institute website. https://nei.nih.gov/health/stargardt/star_facts. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Myopic Macular Degeneration. BrightFocus Foundation website. 2018. https://www.brightfocus.org/macular/article/myopic-macular. Accessed 11/18/19.
- Fricke TR, Jong M, Naidoo KS, et al. Global prevalence of visual impairment associated with myopic macular degeneration and temporal trends from 2000 through 2050: systematic review, meta-analysis, and modelling. British J of Ophthalmology. 2017; 102(7). Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjophthalmol-2017-311266.