Salmon With Agrodolce Sauce
I could eat salmon every day of the week. With only a touch of butter and lemon. But for those who are on the fence about it, serving it with this agrodolce sauce might make you a fan.
Salmon is high in antioxidants and omega-3 essential fatty acids especially recommended for those of us with macular degeneration. Although its health benefits, including vitamin B12, make it a healthy food for everyone.
Grapes are also high in a number of powerful antioxidant compounds. The highest concentration of antioxidants is found in the skin and seeds. Red grapes contain higher numbers of antioxidants due to the anthocyanins that give them their color. Once when I was feeling less than energetic, I just tossed some grapes into the pan with the salmon. I was pleasantly surprised at how much flavor they added.
I discovered this classic Italian condiment when looking for a new way to cook our local salmon. It has since become one of my favorite recipes. The agrodolce sauce can be made ahead and kept in the fridge.
Total time: 30 min. | Prep time: 15 min. | Cook time: 15 min.
Servings: 2 | 1 salmon fillet
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 2 - 5 oz. salmon fillets
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch seedless red grapes ( about 1 cup ), sliced in half
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
For a change, I sometimes add a mixture of parsley, basil and dill; or whatever blend you prefer. But I normally just go without.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until starting to soften.
- Add in vinegar and honey, bring to a boil, and reduce until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- When it begins to thicken, add the grapes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Meanwhile, add the other tablespoon of oil to another skillet and add the salmon.
- Cook for about 3 - 4 minutes each side for a 1 inch thick fillet.
- Plate the salmon and top with the agrodolce sauce.
Serve with a small salad and perhaps some zoodles. Enjoy.
- calories: 491
- carbohydrates: 17.6 g
- fat: 21.8 g
- fiber: 1.3 g
- potassium: 190 mg
- saturated fat: 7 g
- sodium: 171 mg
- sugar: 15 g
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may not adhere to some diets or may include allergens for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
How does your mental health relate to your physical health?