Asian Inspired Brown Rice Noodles and Veggie Stir Fry Bowl
I recently came across the awesomeness of brown rice noodles while having a socially distanced dinner at a friend’s house. I’m a HUGE pasta fan... well... I love to eat pasta, but it isn’t exactly the healthiest of main dishes. You can read this article I wrote about the nutritional differences between whole wheat and white pasta. That being said, I’ve been trying different kinds of pasta over the years and have a few whole wheat pasta recipes that I love when making Italian dishes.
But, THIS Asian dish is made with brown rice noodles and is ah-mazingly delicious and healthy. Win, win! Remember that with any recipe, especially stir fry recipes, you can substitute or add in any veggies you like. Don’t love broccoli, no problem. Take it out. Want to add more nutrients or change the flavor? Awesome, add in some frozen peas and chopped bell peppers!
Total time: 30 min. | Prep time: 15 min. | Cook time: 15 min.
Ingredients for brown rice noodles and veggie stir fry:
- 5 large carrots: peeled and sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels (2 corn on the cob: boiled and cut off the cob - can substitute with a can of yellow corn)
- 1 yellow onion: sliced
- 1 - 12 oz bag of frozen broccoli florets
- 1 rotisserie chicken (yields 8 oz of chicken): skinned and shredded (you can substitute with chicken that you cook from raw, but I almost always use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the store for convenience. Plus, it’s delicious)
- 4 oz Thai Kitchen brand brown rice ‘stir fry’ noodles
- 2 TBSP sliced almonds8 oz Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand lettuce wrap sauce
- 1 cup water
Directions for brown rice noodles and veggie stir fry:
- Peel, slice and slightly boil carrots (you don’t want to boil your carrots until they’re mushy but you do want to cook them enough to get rid of their crisp before stir-frying, set aside)
- Shuck, then boil corn (I use the same boiling water as the carrots to save time and dishes)
- Let corn cool, then cut kernels off of the cob, set aside with carrots
- Slice onion, set aside with corn and carrots
- Since the chicken is precooked, just shred or chop it to your liking for stir-fry
- Start a pot of boiling water for your rice noodles
- In a wok, place chicken and all veggies including your frozen broccoli florets. Add 1 cup water and 1 cup lettuce wrap sauce, cooking your ingredients until your sauce thickens and everything is warmed through.
- While cooking your veggies and protein in the wok, place 4 oz of rice noodles into boiling water (rice noodles do not take long to boil, they cook much faster than boxed white pastas - once your noodle water starts boiling, remove it from the heat and let your noodles sit in the water for 5 minutes)
- Strain and place rice noodles in serving dishes
- Add stir fry to the top of the noodles
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top
Per serving (6)
- calories: 406
- carbohydrates: 32.8g
- cholesterol: 87mg
- fat: 16.6g
- fiber: 4.1g
- potassium: 399mg
- protein: 32.1g
- saturated fat: 4.6g
- sodium: 470mg
- sugar: 8.7g
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may not adhere to some diets or may include allergens for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
How does your mental health relate to your physical health?