Eye Healthy Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
The incredible egg is filled with antioxidants and lutein, both of which are amazingly healthy for our eyes. When you add brightly colored veggies to the mix, you have a powerful, nutrient-rich meal on your table. This is one of my favorite make-ahead meals that can be refrigerated before cooking, then baked the next day for a delicious, filling, and healthy breakfast. As a bonus, the leftovers are just as good as when first baked and make the perfect workweek lunches.
Eat well, live well,
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 - 75 minutes
Ingredients for breakfast casserole:
- 12 large eggs
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and shredded (You can use store-bought pre-shredded potatoes)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided into 1 cup each
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large tomato sliced
- You can add cooked sausage or ham for flavor
Directions for breakfast casserole:
- Crack eggs into mixing bowl
- Whisk in shredded potatoes, diced red bell pepper and onion, 1 cup of shredded cheese, 1 1/2 cup of milk, salt and pepper
- Pour into 9X13 glass baking dish, greased
- Bake for 60 - 75 minutes at 350 degrees
- Can store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours instead of baking right away
- With 15 minutes left to bake, layer tomato slices on top of baking eggs and 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!
Hint for beginners:
- This casserole doesn't take much time to prepare, but it does take time to fully bake. Give yourself at least an hour to be sure the center is fully cooked.
- Cool casserole before placing in the refrigerator for storage
- Place leftovers in individual serving containers with lids for easy-to-grab work week lunches
- calories: 322
- carbohydrates: 21g
- cholesterol: 312mg
- fat: 18g
- fiber: 3g
- potassium: 632mg
- protein: 20g
- saturated fat: 8.9g
- sodium: 310mg
- sugars: 5.8g
Disclaimer: We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may not adhere to some diets or may include allergens for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you still drive?